Fjelsted church is located picturesquely in the middle of the old village. There it has been located for about 800 years. In the Middle Ages the church was consecrated St. Laurentius.
The Late Middle Ages was a rich time for the church. Just before the Reformation, in 1523, the Catholic church received large private donations, often in connection with the death masses. This gave the church the opportunity to implement major changes in Gothic style. In 1872 the church was extended to the north, due to lack of seating, and in 1937 the chapel was build.